Our upstairs bathroom has been an ongoing project ever since we moved into our house in 2014. It was honestly just a mess with the colors, poor tile job, and weird plumbing. The vanity took over half the bathroom leaving very little room to actually use the toilet!
My husband and I did a quick fix to make is usable to our standards and with little money. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of it complete but from photo taken during the installation of the tile you can see that we took out the yucky wall color and board and added new white bead board. My husband HATED the new wall color (Sea Foam by Valspar) and said it was “too girly”. During the first small renovation we decided to add exposed copper plumbing to give it more of an industrial look. (I will get better at taking progression photos)
OKAY… So now onto the actual full renovation to turn this upstairs bath into a shabby chic farm style bathroom!
Let me just say that hammering the old tile away and then chipping out the old thin set was probably my all time LEAST favorite thing I’ve done yet to my house. I’m talking 6 hours of using a hammer and chisel, it makes me cringe just thinking about it. We should have purchased an air chisel so FYI to anyone reading this do yourself a favor and spend the extra $60. Also, how cute is my tub?! It was made in 1915 (we saw this on the bottom of the tub) and was original to the house.
Laying the tile and grouting was the easy part. It was a little trouble some when we had to make the cuts around the plumbing but my husband is the master tile cutter and figured it out.
As you can see from the photo above, the vent pipe was not behind the wall which really bothered me. I came up with the idea of building a wood box around it, to look like a beam, and attaching a shelf running horizontal across the wall.
Tah dah! Now on to my most favorite part yet time consuming part. SHIP LAP! I don’t know what it is about ship lap but I am obsessed with it. Now, it isn’t real ship lap because a piece of that stuff is like $8.50! From looking on Pinterest and other blogs I found a DIY way to get the ship lap look. I did have to stray from my favorite store Lowes and head to Home Depot to get what I needed. We used 6 4×8 pieces of pine underlay ($13.77 a piece) and had them cut it into 6 inch strips. Lets just say we weren’t there favorite people but my husband did help the man and he didn’t charge us for any of the cuts! (We need to buy a table saw) Once we got them home it was time to start hanging them. We used a full piece, half, and quarter pattern to offset the rows. A nickel also comes in handy for a spacer. NOTE: I DID PAINT THE WALLS A DARK GREY THAT I HAD LAYING AROUND SO THE GREEN DIDN’T SHOW THROUGH.
This took us a few days, working in between our jobs. When it was finished I did prime it with Valspar wall primer in white. The paint color I chose and LOVE was Benjamin Moore Simply White and put two coats on.
At times I wanted to cry and give up because I was just SO OVER working on this room but I couldn’t be happier with the finished product. What a before and after. The window you see on the wall will be made into a medicine cabinet to hang! Check the blog for a tutorial in a few weeks.